Senior Performing Arts: Group
Onsite Only Competition
PERFORMING ARTS - SMALL GROUP (four to twelve participants)
and PERFORMING ARTS - LARGE GROUP (thirteen plus participants) - The performance has a maximum time limit of 5 minutes.
Performers will have a total time limit of 9 minutes, which includes set up and take down. Stage is not accessible to any school group except during performance time.
Each club may enter only Performing Arts - Small Group or Performing Arts - Large Group.
A club may not enter both, however, a club may participate in Solo, Duo, Trio and Group.
- An adult/participant must check-in with the judges’ table within the first 15 minutes of the scheduled competition in order to compete. If the participants leaves prior to the end of the competition, they may forfeit the opportunity to compete.
- An electric piano and a sound system will be provided. Any music used for performance must be given to the sound tech prior to their performance. Individual amps are not provided.
- When a performer is singing, recorded background vocals are not allowed. In addition, when playing an instrument, an accompaniment of the same instrument is not allowed.
- Lip syncing, defined as pretending to sing in synchronization with recorded vocals, is not allowed (i.e. moving mouth while holding a microphone).
- The performance must be contained to the stage area.
- No audio visual technology is allowed in the talent performance, such as but not limited to video, PowerPoint, slide show, etc.
- Acts must clear the stage of any debris following their performance. Clean up will be included in the set up/take down time limit.
- Only microphones provided by the audio visual company hired by National Beta may be used.
- Adults may assist in the set up of the performance, but may not participate in any portion of the performance.
- If your state entry qualified for nationals, you must compete in the area in which you qualified.
- If participating in small group, you must have 4-12 members.
- If participating in large group, you must have 13+ members.
- Black light performances are discouraged. Due to lights in event hall not being able to be turned off.
- The chosen song, as performed, must not refer to alcohol, drugs, sex, race or make use of inappropriate language. No sexually suggestive dance moves or gestures.
- No bare midriff allowed.
- SAFETY - Knives, swords, weapons, guns, nor the portrayal of guns, are permitted.
- SAFETY - Tumbling passes or cheerleading stunts are not allowed with the exception of cartwheels, aerial cartwheels, walk overs, back bends and round-offs performed singularly.
- SAFETY - The use of fog machines, fire, hay, balloons, or confetti is not permitted.
- SAFETY -Throwing items from the stage into the audience is not permitted.
- SAFETY - Metal or wood may not be used in the construction of backdrops. However, metal or wooden bases, no taller than 36 inches, can be used to transport and/or support backdrops. Props (table, chairs, bed frame/headboard, etc.) made of metal or wood may be used as intended.
- SAFETY - Only portable, choral risers may be used to elevate participants.
- SAFETY** - Skateboards, roller skates, rollerblades or hoverboards are NOT permitted.
- Creativity and Innovation
- Performing Arts Standards
|Performing Arts - Group||16-20||11-15||6-10||1-5|
|Talent Quality||Excellent quality of talent performance.||Good quality of talent performance.||Average quality of talent performance.||Minimal quality of talent performance.|
|Stage Presence||Excellent stage presence that includes confidence, personality and audience connection.||Good stage presence that includes confidence, personality and audience connection.||Average stage presence that includes confidence, personality and audience connection.||Minimal stage presence that includes confidence, personality and audience connection.|
|Creativity and Originality||Excellent performance that was creative and original throughout the entire performance.||Good performance that was creative and original throughout the entire performance.||Average performance that was creative and original throughout the entire performance.||Minimal performance that was creative and original throughout the entire performance.|
|Entertainment Quality||The group showcased excellent entertainment quality throughout the entire performance.||The group showcased good entertainment quality throughout the entire performance.||The group showcased average entertainment quality throughout the entire performance.||The group showcased minimal entertainment quality throughout the entire performance.|
|Overall Performance||Group achieved an excellent performance.||Group achieved a good performance.||Group achieved an average performance.||Group achieved a minimal performance.|
|Deductions : This will be taken one time by the coordinator.||Did not follow competition guidelines-15||Did not follow SAFETY guidelines -15|