The Visual Arts competition provides students the opportunity to showcase their artistic talents and creative abilities. Each club may enter one entry in each category. This competition is designed to encourage creativity, innovation, reward outstanding craftsmanship, and reinforce the importance of fine arts.
An individual student may enter only ONE Visual Arts Category.
No Preassembled Kits Should be Used
Black & White Photography
Digital Art - any art created digitally
Digitally Enhanced Photography - an original photograph that is enhanced or altered from its origin. (Note: the original and digitally enhanced photograph must be submitted for judging.)
Drawing - pen, pencil, ink, charcoal, etc.
Fiber Arts - fine art whose material consist of natural or synthetic fiber and other components such as fabric or yarn
Hand-drawn Anime - pen, pencil, ink, charcoal, etc.
Jewelry - only one entry can be submitted to be judged (i.e. pair of earrings, a bracelet, a necklace, etc.) Sets are not permitted.
Mixed Media - more than one medium used
Painting - oil, acrylic, water color, tempera, pastel, etc.
Quilling - strips of paper that are rolled, shaped, and glued to create a design can be abstract
Recyclable Art - recycling of materials to create art
- The Visual Art Identification Tag is included in the handbook. Print, complete in full, and attach to each Visual Art entry.
- An individual may enter only one category. Clubs are limited to one entry per category per division.
- Easels will not be supplied.
- All artwork must be submitted and displayed at the designated time.
- Students must be registered for the convention in order to enter artwork.
- Entries must remain on display until the designated time of pickup.
- Although reasonable precautions to protect entries will be taken, National Beta will not be responsible for loss or damage. It is the responsibility of clubs entering the contest to collect entered items at the designated times.
- Entries may not be inappropriate or explicit in nature.
- Visual Arts Standards
- Creativity and Innovation
- Communication and Collaboration
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Visit https://www.betaclub.org/events/conventions and follow directions.
Register students and then select competitions to enter.
All Plaques Awarded at State Convention
Holistic style judging will be used to determine the award winners in the arts competition. Judges will use the following to determine the winners:
Creativity – originality, innovation
Composition – lines, simplicity, balance, color contrast, details
Focus – degree of sharpness or softness, depth of field
Lighting – exposure, direction quality, use of shadows, shading
Technique – camera angle, paint strokes, application and experimentation of medium, texture
Primary visual impact – subject matter
Presentation – appearance, overall artistic appeal
Degree of difficulty, complexity
Artwork size is not specified. Framing and matting of the artwork is not required.
Easels are not provided by National Beta.
Must be printed, filled out, and submitted with entry.
Download and Print: Visual Arts Tag